Friday, February 22, 2013

Brecht: Antigone

Brecht, Bertold: Antigone, Tr. Judith Malina; Applause Theatre Book Publishers, New York, 1990


I think I enjoyed this version the best of the 3 we've considered this year: Aeschylus', Anouillh's and now Brecht's.  This may because I had more sympathy for Antigone herself in this one.  She just seemed obstinate in the original Greek play and I couldn't understand why her loyalty to her dead, traitorous, power-hungry brother trumped her responsibility and feelings for her living, needy sister.  Anouillh's version had a more sympathetic Creon but I think I prefer the original Creon, initially narrow-minded and self-righteous but eventually self-aware, humble and repentant.

I LOVED the language in this version (as I did in Sophocles version, not so much in Anouillh).  I'm always impressed when the language in a translation is beautiful.  I never know for sure whether it is 'as good' as the original but I have to wonder whether beautiful language, certainly beautiful imagery, can persist into other languages.

Brecht begins his version with a prose poem that encapsulates the play.  This would make a great "60 second' play.
He captures so much so efficiently.
And Ismene, her sister, came out of the house and said:
'I am the one who did it.' But Antigone said: 'She's lying.'
And wiping the sweat off, he said: 'Work it out between you.'
So much captured in 3 lines.

Kreon is a colder, more tyrannical person in this version.  Antigone is more idealistic, not just about her duty to her gods and family but about the injustice of Kreon's rule.  This all makes sense when you think about the timing of this version, so close to WWII.

I'll have to keep my eye out for Brecht's version being performed sometime.

Some lines I want to remember:

Pg 18                           62
ISMENE
…we’re women,
who haven’t the strength to fight
against men; and therefore we’re obedient
in this, and in some things even harder.  Therefore
I ask the dead and the oppressed to forgive me, I obey
The authorities.  What’s the sense of committing
Useless actions.

Pg 21                           147
KREON
…I know
that you will not count the costs
when it comes to oiling the wheels
of the man-mangling war machine, any more
than you deny him the blood
of your sons in battle.

Pg 24                           235
KREON
Of all things graven,
There is nothing as evil as silver.  It corrupts
Whole states.  It lures men from their homes
To practice every kind of godless action…


Pg 26                           300
THE ELDERS
For he who finds no enemy becomes
His own enemy.  As though he were an ox,
He yokes the neck of his neighbor, but his neighbor
Tears it off.  If he advances
He steps across the bodies of his own people.  He can’t
Fill his own stomach.  But he builds a wall
Around his own property; and the wall:
It must be torn down!  Open the roof to the
Rain!  He counts what is human
As nothing at all.  He has become
His own monster.

Pg 32                           433
ANTIGONE
…Anyone who uses
violence
against his enemy will turn and use violence against
his own people.


Pg 36                           514
ANTIGONE
Don’t die too abstractly.

527-8
KREON
These women, I tell you, they’re all alike;
One of them loses her mind, and another one follows.


ISMENE     530
But you’re killing your son’s own bride.

KREON       531
There’s more than one field for a man to plow.

Pg 40                           611
KREON
…The uncommitted man
who doesn’t know his own mind tastes dissent
in every small annoyance….

Pg 41                           650
HAMON
But don’t say you alone can be right, and no other.
He who cuts himself off from the others has
No thoughts or speech or soul like another,
And if we look inside such a man
We would find him empty…

Pg 43                           692
KREON
“He seems to be that woman’s comrade.”

HAMON
Not only hers, but of all that’s just, wherever I see it.

KREON
Wherever there’s a hole in it.


KREON
I’d call that fresh if it weren’t a woman’s slave who
Said it.

HAMON
Better her slave than yours.

…You want to say everything
and hear nothing.

Pg 45                           729
O lusts of the flesh, it is you
Who win every battle!...

Pg 46                           778
ANTIGONE
I, who belong to life, not to death.

THE ELDERS
Violence never examines its motives.

800
ANTIGONE
And men say that winter is always with her
And her throat is washed
With the snowbright tears of her eyelids…



No comments:

Post a Comment